Today's date: Sunday April 21, 2019
   
column width padding column width padding

The Wellington Advertiser Masthead Logo

We Cover The County...
40,052 Audited Circulation

WEEKLY POLL   |   Community News   |   EQUINE   |   Schools & Buses

Wellington Weddings 2019
Business Leader Banner
column width padding column width padding

Town to provide youth programs utilizing in-house resources

by Patrick Raftis

MINTO - The town of Minto will direct funds previously put toward sharing the costs of a community youth resiliency worker toward in-house efforts to maintain local youth programs.

Last year, after Trillium funding for the worker, through North for Youth, ended, Minto, Mapleton and Wellington North, along with the Mount Forest Community Health Team, each agreed to contribute $13,000 to keep the program going.

Accomplishments since the initiation of the program in 2015 have included creation of the Minto Youth Action Council (MYAC) in October of 2016 and Minto’s designation as a gold level Youth Friendly Community by Parks and Recreation Ontario in 2018.

In January, youth resiliency worker Gabriella Ieropoli resigned to take a position with Kidsability.

“To replace Gabby would have been very difficult as the skill sets, experience and knowledge required are different for health versus community/economic development, as well as the fact that building rapport with youth, community members and service providers takes time,” noted Minto business and economic manger Belinda Wick-Graham in a March 5 report to council.

“The Minto Economic Development Team felt that the majority of the community/economic development projects that were being undertaken by this position could be brought in-house and the funds redirected into funding ongoing or new youth programs.

“We are fortunate in Minto to have a strong staff working in economic development and recreation to continue to support many of the programs.”

Wick Graham noted local youth-oriented initiatives include:

- a Municipal Youth Internship Program to explore youth engagement, specifically for “at risk” youth;

- Student Start Up Program, a summer entrepreneurship program for students in Grades 6 to 12;

- Northern Wellington Youth Connections, an annual event that attracts Grade 9 students from Norwell Disrict Secondary School and Wellington Heights Secondary School to learn about local opportunities and resources;

- Truth About Youth, a program that engages students in the alternative education program in community betterment projects;

- Municipal Youth Engagement Initiative, which engages Grade 12 students in the human development throughout the lifespan course at Norwell and last semester worked with Grade 11 students in the introduction to anthropology, psychology and sociology;

- Minto Youth Action Council will continue to operate under the direction of Taylor Keunen and implement an action plan that was generated by youths from youth input;

- Youth Workers Workshop/Pre-Employment, designed to give youth an opportunity to better themselves as workers and a chance for Minto employers to notice youths they may potentially want to hire;

- Northern Wellington Young Professionals Network;

- youth retreats and workshops under development will focus on areas like team building, mental health, self-esteem and resilience; and

- graduation luncheon hosted by Mapleton and the Palmerston Lions Club for graduating classes at Norwell.

Wick-Graham told council the budget may be adjusted in future years if it appears the entire $13,000 is not needed.

“We have identified some of the places and we might not spend it all,” she said.

 “We didn’t want to take it out because we have lots of youth programming  happening,” Wick-Graham noted, adding,   “Once this year is done we’ll have a greater sense of it.”

 

March 13, 2019

 
 

Tell Us What You Think

Login to submit a comment

Comments appearing on this website are the opinion of the comment writer and do not represent the opinion of the Wellington Advertiser. Comments that attack other individuals or are offensive, unsubstantiated or otherwise inappropriate will be removed. You must register or log in in order to post a comment. For more information, read our detailed Comment Policy and Guidelines.

       

Lions Home Show

ReliableFord

Wellington County

Related Stories

  • Town unveils long-term water, sewer plans
  • Year One: Mayor George Bridges goal is to streamline towns procedures
  • Committee structure gets second look
  • CAO: Building activity remains strong
  • Minto signs on to Road Watch program
  • Minto to join Road Watch Canada in attempt to combat dangerous driving
  • Womens Institute celebrates milestone
  • Christmas house tour this weekend
  • Minto Farmers markets prove popular
  • Town revises policy for bad weather; building permit values up 26%
  • Hansen hired as new public works director
  • Minto council hears two objections to expanded pit
  • Heels for Hospital will run Saturday
  • Town, frustrated homeowners working on drainage
  • New pharmacy coming to Palmerston
  • Mintos Norm Fisk set to retire
  • column width padding column width padding column width padding

    The Wellington Advertiser

    News

    Opinion

    Community

    Deaths

    Digital Publications

    Classifieds


    Twitter Logo

    Free Press News Network Logo