Today's date: Monday May 28, 2018
column width padding column width padding
The Wellington Advertiser Masthead Logo

We Cover The County...
40,251 Audited Circulation

WEEKLY POLL   |   Community News   |   EQUINE   |   Schools & Buses

Facebook Slug
column width padding column width padding

Thorning Revisited

by Stephen Thorning - 1949-2015

Fergus beer brewing business ended with a bang

The following is a re-print of a past column by former Advertiser columnist Stephen Thorning, who passed away on Feb. 23, 2015.  Some text has been updated to reflect changes since the original publication and any images used may not be the same as those that accompanied the original publication. (Note: This column concludes the account of Holland and Co.’s Crystal Spring Brewery on St. Patrick Street, Fergus.)

The fortunes of Holland and Co.’s Crystal Spring Brewery began to slide at the end of the 1870s. There were several causes.

A general economic turndown occurred during these years, but there were also problems within the firm, as profit margins narrowed and then disappeared. It is also possible that the hard-drinking and erratic Dr. Orton made some unwise business decisions. Art Holland seems to have left the firm about this time, and the absence of this competent brew master may have reduced the quality of the beer.

In February 1879 John Carling of London leased the brewery after his own brewery was destroyed by fire. For about eight months Carling beer was made in Fergus, and shipped to the London-area customers by rail. By year’s end Carling had his London facility back in production. This lease suggests that Holland and Co.’s own customer base had eroded badly.

The 1880s were volatile years for breweries all over Ontario. Temperance agitators, using the Scott Act, forced prohibition plebiscites in most counties, beginning in 1878. Wellington was one – it voted itself dry in 1886, then three years later reversed the decision. It was still legal to brew beer, but it could only be sold legally in wet counties.

In practice the Scott Act proved to be a farce. Hotel owners openly defied the Act, and convictions were rare at first. Authorities tried to put some teeth in enforcement by hiring special officers and an army of part time informants. The circumstances put a financial strain on breweries: they often had to ship their beer surreptitiously, and they could not use legal measures to collect debts for beer sold illegally.

Soon after Art Holland left the firm, another partner joined. J.C. Morrow, a Fergus hotel keeper, had done well as proprietor of the Tecumseh House and later the North American Hotel. His contacts in the hotel business were also useful in helping the firm circumvent the Scott Act.

Financial problems plagued the brewery during the mid-1880s, in part due to the Scott Act, but also to other factors. With Art Holland out of the business and Dr. Orton in Ottawa, brawling his way as the MP for Centre Wellington, effective control of the brewery fell into the hands of John Armytage.

In 1888 The Imperial Bank demanded a mortgage on the property to secure a stagnating operating loan. The firm, by now operating as the Fergus Brewery rather than Holland and Co., continued to operate until the fateful night of Feb. 13, 1889.

A few minutes before 10pm, John Thom, a teamster and labourer at the brewery, was shutting down the boiler and draining the water from the system.

Without any warning, the boiler exploded, completely demolishing the brick engine house. Flying debris damaged a half dozen houses to a greater or lesser degree. One stable was totally demolished. Parts of the boiler flew up to 150 feet, and one brick crashed through the wall of a woodshed 300 feet away. The concussion shattered windows as far away as the stores on St. Andrew Street.

Miraculously, no one suffered any injury except for a Miss Shea, who was struck by a brick as she stood near the door in Martin Carroll’s house.

No satisfactory explanation was ever offered for the explosion. Did one of the owners engineer the explosion to spite creditors who were muttering about foreclosure? Was it a disgruntled temperance worker who couldn’t bear the thought of the brewery prospering with the repeal of the Scott Act? Was it simply a mechanical failure? No one will ever know.

The explosion decisively marked the end of commercial brewing in Fergus. The building and machinery were hopelessly damaged, to the tune of $5,000, and the property was not insured for damage by explosion. Orton, Armytage and Morrow made no attempt to resurrect the business.

The amount of loss suffered by the Imperial Bank and other creditors is not known. Following the explosion, there was no interest in the property, and in 1895 it was sold for unpaid taxes. The four lots, with the ruins of the brewery, wound up in the hands of James Wilson and Sons of Monkland Mills.

The tight-lipped Wilsons did not announce any plans for the property, though they did use it for storage.

When the St. Patrick Street railway spur line was built, they built a siding into the property for the use of anyone who wanted a convenient place to load and unload railway cars.

Over the years the old brewery slowly faded from memory as the ruins crumbled to the ground.

*This column was originally published in the Fergus-Elora News Express on April 24, 1996.


Vol 50 Issue 07


Tell Us What You Think

Login to submit a comment

Comments appearing on this website are the opinion of the comment writer and do not represent the opinion of the Wellington Advertiser. Comments that attack other individuals or are offensive, unsubstantiated or otherwise inappropriate will be removed. You must register or log in in order to post a comment. For more information, read our detailed Comment Policy and Guidelines.




Wellington County


Barrie Hopkins
Barrie Hopkins
Barrie Hopkins
Barrie Hopkins
Bruce Whitestone
Ray Wiseman
Ray Wiseman
Ray Wiseman
Stephen Thorning
Stephen Thorning

Recent Columns

Bits and Pieces

  • Signature bonnet
  • Digital pantomime
  • Connect the dots
  • Generation gap
  • Little things
  • Tylenol kick
  • This Little Piggy
  • Nature's best
  • Canada's Business

  • The decline of civility
  • Irrational exuberance II
  • Speak up
  • An enduring register
  • A government assessment after one year in office
  • Gauge signals
  • Unpatriotic
  • Inevitable
  • Comment from Ottawa

  • The Syria question
  • Reflecting on 2016
  • Open, transparent combat mission?
  • Bad for businesses
  • Have your voice heard on electoral reform
  • Open and transparent?
  • Assisted dying
  • Leadership bid
  • Life-wise

  • Retirement
  • Canadas scarcity of calamity
  • Often we mirror our parents
  • Putting up with put-downs
  • A tale of two landlords
  • A letter from the campsite
  • Two shades of black
  • Precious memories
  • Queen's Park Report

  • Back to work
  • Merry Christmas
  • Remembering them
  • High-cost hydro
  • Six important issues
  • Emancipation Day
  • Great Lakes
  • Happy Canada Day
  • Special to the Advertiser

  • Death of JFK changed the world
  • Split Decision

  • Alert Ready emergency alerts
  • Public holiday pay
  • Municipal ATV bylaws
  • Minimum wage earner tax cut
  • Storytelling methods
  • $6.7 million provincial deficit
  • Government funded childcare
  • Lower the voting age to 16
  • Staying Connected

  • It’s all about staying connected.
  • Stray Casts

  • Final lines: Its been great
  • Thorning Revisited

  • Richard Boyle built 10 bridges in Nichol Township
  • Bridge builder Richard Boyle had an inventive mind
  • Oldtimers claim Elora town crier could be heard in Fergus
  • News from the Mapleton area from 1879 and 1954
  • Erin’s worst fire burned out six businesses in 1913
  • Village of Elora bought its first fire engine in 1859
  • Wellington County blood donor clinics began in 1950
  • 1881 books provide unique glimpse of local agriculture
  • Valuing Our History

  • Hustonville founded, thrived, vanished in 20 years
  • Lack of railway siding frustrated Fergus’ James Gow
  • Fergus mill made oat flour for Cheerios, other brands
  • Railway passenger service waxed and waned over the 1900s
  • Tanner’s woolen mill in Mount Forest burned twice in a year
  • Elora principal George Edgcumbe ended his career in disgrace
  • Peter Perry a memorable principal of Fergus High School
  • Fire gutted Fergus building owned by Robert Kerr in 1931
  • WriteOut of Her Mind

  • Lucky kid
  • Royal pain
  • Mother’s Day my way
  • The short answer
  • Take a bow
  • Ice storm
  • Write on
  • Popcorn
  • column width padding column width padding column width padding

    The Wellington Advertiser





    Digital Publications


    Twitter Logo

    Free Press News Network Logo