Today's date: Monday June 18, 2018
column width padding column width padding

The Wellington Advertiser Masthead Logo

We Cover The County...
40,251 Audited Circulation

WEEKLY POLL   |   Community News   |   EQUINE   |   Schools & Buses

column width padding column width padding

Thorning Revisited

by Stephen Thorning - 1949-2015

Accidents plagued Grand Trunk Railway after 1900

The following is a re-print of a past column by former Advertiser columnist Stephen Thorning, who passed away on Feb. 23, 2015.

Some text has been updated to reflect changes since the original publication and any images used may not be the same as those that accompanied the original publication.

Last week’s column described the derailment on the Grand Trunk line near Ponsonby that claimed the lives of two infants and injured more than a score of passengers.

This week I want to step back and look at the context in which this accident took place.

Deaths in railway accidents received wide publicity, and by the dawning of the 20th century it was normal practice to hold a thorough coroner’s inquest after such a mishap. The evidence at these reveals much about railway operating practices of the time and the management techniques employed by railways.

The inquest following the Ponsonby tragedy, despite crown attorney Henry Peterson’s determination to identify the cause, typifies the way the Grand Trunk handled these cases.

Operating employees, obviously, covered up for one another, while occasionally displaying a casual and cavalier attitude to rules and proper procedures. Middle management was adept at shifting blame to someone else. The railway’s lawyers insisted the evidence clearly showed the accident was neither predictable nor preventable.

The performance at the inquest covered a multiplicity of management and operating problems suffered by the Grand Trunk during the half century of its existence. Controlled from England, the company had sent out a series of senior managers with no knowledge or understanding of Canadian conditions.  Periodically, the board of directors attempted to micro-manage the company from England.

After 1870, the Grand Trunk focused its energies on capturing the traffic in commodities from Chicago to eastern ports. This proved to be a disastrous decision, tying up a large portion of the line’s rolling stock and manpower for business that seldom generated much profit due to intense competition.

Nevertheless, the Grand Trunk continued to pursue this business through the 1880s and 1890s.

During the 1880s the Grand Trunk merged and amalgamated with three other railways in Ontario. The important one for Wellington was the Hamilton-based Great Western.

This was a reactive decision: Grand Trunk managers feared these lines would fall into the hands of its upstart rival, the Canadian Pacific.

Like most mergers and amalgamations, this one produced disappointing results. Financing costs for the acquisitions ate up all the profits the new lines generated. The amalgamations tripled the size of the Grand Trunk system. The company failed to eliminate redundant duplicate trackage and had difficulty managing the huge company efficiently. Employee morale and enthusiasm waned through the 1890s.

To squeeze profit out of the bloated system, managers cut back on maintenance and reinvestment. The branch lines, such as those in Wellington County, suffered the most. Bad tracks resulted in slower running times, and trains that seldom arrived on schedule, impeding the flow of passengers, mail and express. Soon the risk of derailment escalated.

Aging rolling stock meant that breakdowns occurred frequently. By 1900, the average locomotive on the line was more than 20 years old. To keep trains moving at all, employees resorted to a loose interpretation of operating rules and safety precautions.

The appointment of American-born Charles Hays as general manager in 1896 soon produced a change in the fortunes of the company. With a reputation for ruthless efficiency, Hays was able to wring more profit out of the system. He started to buy more powerful locomotives and to upgrade trackage.

Like his predecessors, though, Hays focused on the main lines and the branches continued to suffer. Blunt to the point of rudeness, he alienated the public and did nothing to build employee morale. He treated with contempt the rising clamour for better facilities and improvements on the branch lines.

Branch line freight customers, such as those in Wellington County, frequently could not get empty cars when they requested them. As well, the light trackage restricted freight cars to 10-ton capacity at a time when the 30-ton cart was becoming the standard in North America. Small town businessmen took a hostile stance, accusing the Grand Trunk of undermining their local economies.

Then, after 1900, the inevitable accidents came. On the former Great Western line northwest from Guelph to Elora and Fergus, the Grand Trunk had done virtually no major maintenance since it amalgamated with the GWR in 1882.

In 1900 a broken wheel on an old freight car caused a derailment, with no injuries. Three years later, the derailment described in last week’s Advertiser occurred near Ponsonby.

In the early hours of Sunday morning, Aug. 28, 1904, a locomotive and caboose, with a five-man crew, were returning to Palmerston. Anxious to get home, they ignored the speed restrictions on the line. As they were passing under a road bridge at Aboyne, an axle broke on the locomotive and a driving wheel flew off, damaging the bridge supports

 The locomotive continued on, over the Grand River bridge. The engineer managed to get it stopped near the Beatty Line. Only by divine intervention did it stay on the rails.

Eight months later, at the switch leading to a siding at Marden, a 32-car southbound freight train partially derailed. A wheel bearing on a car toward the end of the train burned out, causing the axle to jam. This pulled the wheels from the car, which dropped to the track. It was an older flatcar, loaded with timber. Six more cars of timber and two boxcars loaded with general merchandise piled into the wreckage.

These bearings should have been checked before the train had departed Palmerston. Dozens of people flocked to the scene to watch the wrecking crews from Stratford and Palmerston clear the pileup.

The accident occurred on Easter Sunday. The pious among the crowd saw the wreck as a divine judgment for desecrating the Sabbath.

No one suffered injuries in this wreck, because the train had been travelling at slow speed. Because there was no death or injury, no inquest was held.

Two months later, in June 1905, quick reactions by engineers averted what could have been a major disaster. The Ontario Agricultural College was holding its annual spring open house. The Grand Trunk scheduled three special trains to Guelph to bring farmers from the north and west.

No. 17, the regular morning northbound train, had to pass these on its way to Elora. The engineer received orders to pass the first of these specials before leaving Guelph, and to enter the siding at Marden to let the second and third pass.

No. 17 (the same train involved in the wreck in last week’s column) waited in the Marden siding for the second train to pass. Then the engineer pulled out onto the main line. He continued as usual for about five miles, then noticed a southbound train approaching. Instantly he slammed on the air brakes.

Fortunately, the engineer in the third special also noticed the approaching train. It consisted of eight coaches crammed with farmers, and pulled by two locomotives. The trains stopped less than 100 feet apart.

The written orders for No. 17 clearly stated to wait at Marden for Specials No. 2 and 3. Both the conductor and engineer made the ridiculous claim that they mistook the “3” for “2”. No charges were laid against the crew. It was left to the railway to deal internally with this infraction, which might have led to many fatalities and injuries.

In the summer of 1908 the Grand Trunk finally started to make some investments in the line between Guelph and Palmerston. Grading work eliminated much of the hill-and-dale character of the line. The independent engineers at the 1903 inquest had recommended that.

Deeper ballast and new, heavier rails permitted faster running and heavier locomotives. Crews rebuilt most of the smaller bridges and culverts. In July 1909 the replacement of the bridge over the Grand River completed the improvements to the line.

There were improvements and repairs to station buildings as well. All structures received a coat of paint in the Grand Trunk’s new gray-and-green scheme. By late 1909, new and heavier locomotives scurried up and down the line, and trains adhered more often to published schedules.

The improvements had a positive effect on morale. Overall, wrecks and derailments occurred only rarely after 1910.

(Note: The Grand Trunk Railway was acquired by the federal government in 1919 and was one of a number of railroads, which were merged to form the Canadian National Railway in 1923. Elora’s Grand Trunk Railway station was at the south end of town, beside Wellington Road 7 close to the site of the Gorge Restaurant. The Cotton Tail Trail follows part of the GTR rail line, which crossed the road (#7), turned and headed due south, past Ponsonby, through Marden and on to Guelph. In the other direction the tracks led through Aboyne, Fergus and then north on to Palmerston and beyond.)

*This column was originally published in the Wellington Advertiser on Dec. 7, 2001.



Vol 50 Issue 04


Tell Us What You Think

Login to submit a comment

Comments appearing on this website are the opinion of the comment writer and do not represent the opinion of the Wellington Advertiser. Comments that attack other individuals or are offensive, unsubstantiated or otherwise inappropriate will be removed. You must register or log in in order to post a comment. For more information, read our detailed Comment Policy and Guidelines.




Wellington North Guide 2018-2019


Barrie Hopkins
Barrie Hopkins
Barrie Hopkins
Barrie Hopkins
Bruce Whitestone
Ray Wiseman
Ray Wiseman
Ray Wiseman
Stephen Thorning
Stephen Thorning

Recent Columns

Bits and Pieces

  • Signature bonnet
  • Digital pantomime
  • Connect the dots
  • Generation gap
  • Little things
  • Tylenol kick
  • This Little Piggy
  • Nature's best
  • Canada's Business

  • The decline of civility
  • Irrational exuberance II
  • Speak up
  • An enduring register
  • A government assessment after one year in office
  • Gauge signals
  • Unpatriotic
  • Inevitable
  • Comment from Ottawa

  • The Syria question
  • Reflecting on 2016
  • Open, transparent combat mission?
  • Bad for businesses
  • Have your voice heard on electoral reform
  • Open and transparent?
  • Assisted dying
  • Leadership bid
  • Life-wise

  • Retirement
  • Canadas scarcity of calamity
  • Often we mirror our parents
  • Putting up with put-downs
  • A tale of two landlords
  • A letter from the campsite
  • Two shades of black
  • Precious memories
  • Queen's Park Report

  • Back to work
  • Merry Christmas
  • Remembering them
  • High-cost hydro
  • Six important issues
  • Emancipation Day
  • Great Lakes
  • Happy Canada Day
  • Special to the Advertiser

  • Death of JFK changed the world
  • Split Decision

  • Voting tabulators
  • Voting: local candidate or party leader?
  • Alert Ready emergency alerts
  • Public holiday pay
  • Municipal ATV bylaws
  • Minimum wage earner tax cut
  • Storytelling methods
  • $6.7 million provincial deficit
  • Staying Connected

  • It’s all about staying connected.
  • Stray Casts

  • Final lines: Its been great
  • Thorning Revisited

  • Arthur man turned down job as Ontario premier
  • News from Maryborough Township in 1851 and 1876
  • Maryborough mob defended ‘helpless’ widow against eviction
  • Richard Boyle built 10 bridges in Nichol Township
  • Bridge builder Richard Boyle had an inventive mind
  • Oldtimers claim Elora town crier could be heard in Fergus
  • News from the Mapleton area from 1879 and 1954
  • Erin’s worst fire burned out six businesses in 1913
  • Valuing Our History

  • Hustonville founded, thrived, vanished in 20 years
  • Lack of railway siding frustrated Fergus’ James Gow
  • Fergus mill made oat flour for Cheerios, other brands
  • Railway passenger service waxed and waned over the 1900s
  • Tanner’s woolen mill in Mount Forest burned twice in a year
  • Elora principal George Edgcumbe ended his career in disgrace
  • Peter Perry a memorable principal of Fergus High School
  • Fire gutted Fergus building owned by Robert Kerr in 1931
  • WriteOut of Her Mind

  • Teamwork
  • Privilege
  • Comic relief
  • Lucky kid
  • Royal pain
  • Mother’s Day my way
  • The short answer
  • Take a bow
  • column width padding column width padding column width padding

    The Wellington Advertiser





    Digital Publications


    Twitter Logo

    Free Press News Network Logo